Desired Start Date: Mid-June 2021
Application deadline: May 5, 2021 at 11:59pm PST.
We aim to hold interviews during the following times: May 10, May 11, May 12. Interviews will be conducted by BCCLA staff through video-conference. Alternate arrangements can be made for candidates whose schedules don’t allow for interviews during the 9am-5pm work day.
About the Position:
The BCCLA’s is seeking a talented Donor Relations Coordinator to grow the development of our organization.
This permanent, 0.8 FTE (32 hours/week) role advances the BCCLA’s donor fundraising and member relations efforts. The Donor Relations Coordinator processes donations and tax receipting, assists in financial reconciliation, supports member and donor stewardship and administration, and manages our supporter database. This role also supports campaigns and public education efforts in times of high intensity.
This role reports to the Supporter Engagement and Development Manager. This position also works closely with the Director of Engagement and Development as well as the Communications and Outreach Manager. The Engagement Department consists of five people. The Donor Relations Coordinator works both independently and cooperatively in a team spirit, while maintaining the flexibility to adapt to the changing circumstances and priorities of a small, dynamic organization. The right candidate will enjoy a variety of tasks from database management and support of fundraising campaigns to financial tracking and procedures.
This position is normally based at our office in Vancouver at #306-268 Keefer St, on the unceded Indigenous lands of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and səlil̓wətaʔɬ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil Waututh) nations.
In light of COVID-19, the option to perform this position mostly remotely is available until distancing measures are lifted; a laptop and access to all required platforms will be provided. This position does require some regular in-office work (at least once a week for banking-related activities), in compliance with WorkSafeBC guidelines for in-office work during the pandemic.
Read below for a full job description, for which the following skills are required:
- Ideal candidates have experience in one or more of the following: financial processing, data administration, tax receipting, and data maintance.
- High level of experience and effectiveness with online platforms, technology, computer applications, donor processing software, and CRM administration.
- Stewardship of members and donors, including answering donor inquiries by phone and drafting email content for members.
- Well-developed relationship building and interpersonal skills is required.
- Must be extremely well-organized, able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines, and work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability in languages other than English are assets.
- Passion for civil liberties and human rights issues are strong assets.
- Lived experience of or experience (paid or volunteer) working on issues related to BCCLA’s mandate are assets.
- The current salary range for this position is $43,680-$59,280 at 1.0 FTE, which is $34,944‑$47,424 at 0.8 FTE (32 hours a week). Starting salary within this range is based on experience; we currently anticipate hiring within the $40,000‑$41,600 range for a 0.8 FTE position (between $50,000-$52,000 at 1.0 FTE).
- Our competitive benefits package includes extended health and dental plan for the employee, spouse and dependents, four weeks’ annual vacation and a generous sick leave and parental leave policy. The Executive Director may also decide to close the office for two weeks in December. Our workplace environment includes the possibility for flexible work arrangements.
Applications are due by 11:59pm PST on May 5, 2021.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter in one combined PDF to [email protected] with the subject line “Donor Relations Coordinator Application.” Candidates are invited to share their LinkedIn and Twitter profiles, but are not expected or required to do so.
The BCCLA is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity, and inclusion are priority considerations, including in building a workplace that honours the particular experiences and expertise of communities marginalized through state violence and social oppression. The BCCLA strongly encourages applications from all qualified Indigenous people, Black people, people of colour, immigrants and refugees, working class people, and LGBTQ+ people. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify, should they feel comfortable doing so, in their cover letter and are invited to share how their lived experience would inform their approach and ethics in this position.
About the BCCLA:
The BC Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA) is a non‑partisan national leader whose mission is to promote, defend, sustain, and extend civil liberties and human rights. The BCCLA is the oldest and most active civil liberties and human rights group in Canada; actively advancing human rights and civil liberties through litigation, law reform, community-based legal advocacy, and public engagement and education for the last half century. Though we are based in BC, our work is national in scope with legal interventions and law reform advocacy across Canada.
We are a membership-based organization with a mandate that includes work on police accountability, government transparency, democratic rights including freedom of expression, prisoners’ rights, patients’ rights, privacy rights, surveillance and national security issues, immigration detention, and criminal legal reform, we are one of the most vibrant and visible advocacy groups in Canada. The BCCLA is a small team with a big reach, and we want you to be a part of our work.
The Donor Relations Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
Donation Processing and Data Administration
- With the support of the Supporter Engagement and Development Manager, lead the yearly tax receipting process, ensuring that donors receive accurate and auditable tax receipts, in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency regulations.
- Participate in the creation and maintenance of donation processing procedures and data maintenance procedures.
- Track and update grant and donation payment schedules and receivables.
- Works closely with the Operations Department to process and code receivables in line with budget allocations. Every month:
- Reconcile donations from third party donation platforms with our internal database
- Reconcile donations and memberships made directly online
- Generate New Donor, Major Donor, and Mid-level stewardship lists
- Contact monthly donors whose credit card information has lapsed
- Generate and maintain membership lists for board ratification
- Work with Operations Department to create and maintain ongoing consistency between database and accounting software
- Process online and offline donations, and update receivable spreadsheet as needed.
- Prepare, code, and perform all bank deposits and keep accurate records of deposits.
- Update donor and member profiles in database with information as needed.
- Every quarter:
- Process gifts of securities and work with Operations Department to code them as per financial policy.
- Generate quarterly fundraising report numbers.
- CRM Administration
- Support engagement team on email campaign, email themes, email audiences.
- Create and maintain of new online fundraising campaign pages.
- Upon request, provide functions and processes training to engagement team.
- Contribute to good record keeping and digital information protection practices.
- Call donors whose credit cards fail to process.
- Respond to donor inquiries via phone, email, and mail in a timely manner.
- Assist with supporter inquiries sent to general BCCLA inbox.
- Work with Supporter Engagement and Development Manager on executing tasks in the team’s Stewardship Plan, such as creating stewardship packages for donors and contacting donors via phone, email, and mail to thank them for their donations.
Fundraising and Membership
- Pull and clean data for mailing (e.g. Annual Report and direct mail) and upload to mailing house fileshare.
- Upon request, assist with analysis of fundraising data.
- Write and distribute content for two membership drives per year, with a view to increasing membership numbers.
- Upon request, edit communications and fundraising emails, direct mail pieces, calling scripts, and other written materials as needed.
- Contact members for membership renewal.
- Working with the Operations Department to assist Board Committees, especially the Board Development Committee and Elections Committee, with questions about members and their eligibility to run for the Board.
- Participate in the cross-departmental planning and execution of the BCCLA’s Annual General meeting, including generating membership lists, supporting in the elections process, answering questions from members about voting, and providing day-of events support.
- Support with the distribution of other BCCLA communications and fundraising materials, such as emails, newsletters, and Direct Mail pieces.
Events, Campaign, and Publication Support
- Support the Director of Engagement and Development in executing tasks associated with the biennial fundraising gala, including supporting with ticket sales, contacting external vendors, and assisting in silent auction and raffle administration.
- Contribute to the successful production of other BCCLA events such as public-facing webinars and panel talks.
- Upon request, support the Communications and Outreach Manager with execution of digital action campaigns (such as petitions) with supporting the creation of petition tools and integration with the database.
- Upon request, support with annual report and newsletter production.