Download a copy of Rights Talk: Students and Civil Liberties at School >>
Chapter 1: The Basics
- So, what are civil liberties?
- Where do civil liberties come from?
- Your rights can be limited!
- The Charter and the School Act
Chapter 2: Freedom of Expression
- Dress codes: What’ll I wear?
Chapter 3: Walking the Line: Secularism and Religious Freedom
- Freedom of religion under the Charter
- Balancing secularism with freedom of religion
Chapter 4: New Challenges: Technology and Civil Liberties
- Taking freedom of expression online
- Sexting: Harmless fun or serious crime?
- They’re watching you: Video surveillance
Chapter 5: All Kinds of Searches
- Cell phone searches
- Searching your person
- Searching your locker or backpack
- Use of sniffer dogs
Chapter 6: School Discipline and Criminal Justice
- School discipline and your rights
- The criminal law, the police and you
For Further Discussion
Links to Legal Decisions