For the Policing Indigenous Communities Initiative, we are partnering with Indigenous communities and Indigenous-led organizations to hold our Know Your Rights works on the unceded traditional territories of Nations throughout British Columbia. We hold our workshops in community settings, with an environment for knowledge exchanges between us and our community partners on policing in their Territories.
For our part, we share information about:
- Your rights on police stops, detentions, and arrests
- Your rights on police searches of persons, vehicles, and homes
- Your rights re protests and demonstrations
We also share information on your rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, including:
- The complaints process for police misconduct
- The complaints process for discrimination under human rights codes
- The investigation process for police-related serious injury or death
If you are interested in hosting a Know Your Rights workshop in your community, please contact our Community Lawyer.