Join Policy Director Micheal Vonn and special guest instructor Sean Comeau for an instructional workshop that will leave your digital devices more secure. In this pilot workshop, you can learn how to better protect your data from search and seizure by making use of some of the most up to date technologies, and down to earth practical strategies.
In this dynamic session, you will:
- Become more secure: learn how web browser security is breached and how to defend yourself.
- Know precisely how various web technologies acquire and use information about you: How do they get it, where do they store it, and for how long? Know what you can change, and what you can’t.
- Act only as you intend to act: avoid attacks such as session hijacking, clickjacking or even plain old marketing.
- Be anonymous when you need to be, even if someone is watching: hiding your location by various means.
- Learn about other interesting attacks: trust issues, side channel attacks, historical attacks which are likely to come up again in some new context.
You will be learning to secure your own device throughout the workshop. Bring your laptop for best results. You can follow along with your tablet but some tools aren’t available for Android or iOS platforms.
To participate, you will need:
- to register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- to bring your own laptop
- to download and install Mozilla Firefox in advance of the session
For more information and to register, contact Membership and Community Outreach Coordinator Charlotte Kingston at email@example.com.